President’s Message, February 2018
Dear Carving Colleagues,
1. New Saturday carving sessions, 9:00 to Noon at the Tucker Recreation Center, have drawn participants (range from 4 to 16 carvers) during the five weeks since we began. Last Saturday there were 10. IT’S A KEEPER! Saturday carving at the recreation center is now an ongoing part of our organizational life. Amen.
2. About Tuesday Night… We will vote on Two Amendments to our current club by- laws.
Our February 13th AWC meeting- 6:15-8:30 P.M.- will feature carver Jerry Blake and his lovely assistant, Lamar Holland, guiding us in carving small, cunning animal head likenesses (either wolf or dragon) to house/disguise a staple remover, making the prosaic act of removing staples much more fun and a constant reminder of the transforming character of the carving art.
Tools to bring:
– 2 sharp knives including your favorite regular sharpened bench knife, and a
sharp detail knife;
-small, sharp gouges/v tools of micro tool size
3. Club Dues of $20 for 2018 are to be paid to Randy Plummer, club treasurer, if you have not done so already. Also your dues must be paid to be able to vote on the by–law changes.
4. The club is in the process of changing it’s carving exhibit at the Tucker Library to include the carvings of 11 or 12 members, including 4 or 5 relatively new carvers. We will also be engaging in expanding the library locations that lend themselves to exhibiting our carvings and providing locations for carving demonstrations/lessons. Thank you all for your willingness to share the carving art with others.
5. Bird carving workshop , “Carving a Black-capped Chickadee” scheduled for April 19th, 20th, and 21st at the Tucker Recreation Center is now open for registration. We will put forth a sign-up list at Tuesday’s regular February meeting- first-come/first-served. The very reasonable registration fee of $145.00 will hold your seat in the 2 and 1⁄2 day workshop. Our treasurer, Randy will be greatly gladdened to receive a check from you Tuesday night. James Yawn is well-recognized as a bird carver/carving instructor, heads up the woodcarving club in Warner Robbins, and is the coordinator and manager of the Georgia National Fair Woodcarving Competition each year for the state of Georgia and Georgia woodcarvers.
6. To provide you information about carving instruction available outside the club, two excellent opportunities have provided us their annual information within the past few days.
-The Southeastern Woodcarving School and Exposition, July 13th-15th, in Wetumpka, Alabama.
Secretary Gail Holland forwarded this information to AWC members electronically. Fees and registration- $175. 14 different classes to choose from- all excellent. Usually about a third of our members attend and enter carvings in the exposition competition- you’ll be in good company. You can get the detailed info at www.centralalwoodcarving.com
-The Renegade Woodcarvers Roundup: a Caricature Carving Experience
March 19-23 (a 5-day experience)
Fees and Registration $225
Lebanon, TN (25 miles east of Nashville)
Phone Steve Brown (270) 871-4239 to see if space is still available. The 5 instructors are
some of the best caricature carvers in the country- in a class with our own Jim LeClaire!
All for now and see you at the meeting.
Doug McKittrick , President
Atlanta Woodcarvers Club Schedule for 2018
A Great carving opportunity- every Thursday morning in Tucker at the Recreation Center. For years a number of our members do open carving every Thursday. Come and go anytime between 10:30 AM and 3 PM. We are also open on Saturdays from 9-12. Open to anyone interested in carving with others. Dekalb County’s Tucker Recreation Center Room 1, 4898 Lavista Road in Tucker. Come carve with us!
Monthly meetings also at Tucker Recreation Center Room 1,
4898 Lavista Road in Tucker.
AWC monthly meeting 6:30-8:30 P.M.
Program Schedule for 2018
MARCH 13 LETTERING – JUNE SUMMERS
Demos- Se Woodworking Show
APRIL 10 CARICATURES – JIM LECLAIRE
WORKSHOP Chickadee BIRD JAMES YAWN Time and place TBD
DOUG MCKITTRICK – CONTACT PERSON
MAY 8 REALISTIC ANIMAL, TURTLE – DAVE CRUM
JUNE 12 LETTERING LIBRARY SHELVES – CARMEN SANDERS, DEB JENNINGS
JULY 10CARVING EXHIBIT ICE CREAM SOCIAL
AUGUST 14 OPEN______________________________________
WORKSHOP – HUMAN FACE JANET CORDEL Time and place TBD
GAIL HOLLAND – CONTACT PERSON
SEPTEMBER 11 ORIGINAL RELIEF – CARMEN SANDERS
OCTOBER 9 HOLIDAY GIFTS,FISH LURES- LAMARAWC PROGRAM 2018, AND ORNAMENTS Teacher TBD
NOVEMBER 13 0PEN______________________
DECEMBER 11 HOLIDAY POTLUCK AND CARVING EXHIBIT
Special Interest Groups: Service project TBD
Comfort birds- comfort birds & Angels of Hope